Friday, August 10, 2012

Book Review - The Workshop Book of Knitting

My mom teaches at an elementary school, and sometimes their library has book sales to get rid of some older books and make room for new. My mom, being so thoughtful, picked up this gem just for me!

The Workshop Book of Knitting! This book was written in 1973 by Miss von Wartburg, who was a knitting instructor who ran a workshop for kids in NYC. (Sidenote: Anyone feel sorry for the author? I mean was her childhood horrible with that name? Ursula von WARTBURG? Yikes. OK back to the review!)

It is really interesting to compare the way knitting was described and taught by her at the time compared with the kids' knitting book that I bought in 2005 from which I taught myself. Overall I am able to understand it, but there are some things that were either funny, or just interesting in how they ordered/taught things. I am going to now post some of my favorite quotes, along with my comments. Enjoy!

"Hand-spun yarn has a quality all its own. It is uneven and bumpy in spots, which gives it a unique charm not found in machine-made yarn"
Uhh I could think of some people who might be highly offended by that statement! I know a lot of handspun CAN be bumpy and uneven but there is plenty of beautiful almost-perfect looking handspun out there. Sheesh :)
(In the "Winding Yarn" section:) "Make a Surprise Ball for someone. Wind candies and little trinkets into a knitting ball. The knitter will be delighted when the surprised fall out as the ball of yarn unwinds.
Hmmm not sure about that. What if the "trinkets" got tangled up in the yarn? Or the candy melted because the person you gave it to didn't knit with it for a year or two? Wait ew that would probably invite bugs to come live in your yarn! Ewwww!
"Knitting needles are made of either plastic or aluminum"
If those were the only choices I feel deeply sorry for the people of the 70s! :)
(From the "Other Helpful Tools" checklist:) Handkerchief, man's size, for wrapping delicate knitting
What, I need a handkerchief? Where do I even buy one these days??? lol

When they get to the actual instructions about stitches and knitting, they start off with "The Plain Stitch" which I am reading to just mean the front of a regular knitted stitch. They call the backside the "Purl stitch" which makes sense. It's just interesting they have names for each side of a stockinette stitch.

OK last part I need to quote in entirety, because it is funny to me!

"How to Take Care of Your Knitting"

  1. Store your knitting tools and materials in a box such as a shoe box, and keep light-colored knitting wrapped up in a handkerchief or dishtowel.
  2. Don't let the ball of wool roll around on the floor while you are knitting.
  3. Wash your hands with soap and water before starting to knit. Also wash them if they become moist and sticky while knitting.
  4. Do not rest your elbows on a table while knitting. Sit back in your chair and relax.
  5. Make it a habit to finish the row or round before putting your knitting away.
  6. When you put your knitting away, place one needle over the other and wrap yarn around the needles so the stitches won't slide off.
  7. Make your workplace a happy place to be. Tidy up around you. Work with good light on your knitting.
Whew... Um anyone else break about all of those rules every time you knit??? Or is it just me? :-)

No comments: