Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sweater done and new project...


I got the baby sweater done. It's not bad for a sweater, just has some elements I am not totally pleased with. One thing is I suck at is sewing up the sides/arms, so I might try and redo that again with thread instead of yarn. Anyone else have sewing tips? I typically turn it inside out, pinch the two sides together and do a whip stitch (I believe) to join. It really isnt the greatest... but it is all I know how to do. Suggestions welcome!

ALSO I am trying to think of something to use to hold the sweater closed! I am thinking a large safety pin? Maybe a plastic one? Something the baby can't eat or hurt themself on....

My penguin likes to model sweaters for me.


I am working on the ribbed turtleneck shrug for my friend Meg.... I am only a few inches away from being done! WOOT!

Finally I cast on for a pair of booties for my coworker... she mentioned how she wants to get pink baby converse shoes for her future baby girl... I thought what would be better than pink BOOTIES that the baby can wear soon!!!!


One is cast off, I need to sew it up and weave in the ends and then add the fake "laces". Hope to get to that at lunch today!

Lots of snow... hope you all are staying warm!

1 comment:

YarnThrower said...

I wrote a comment, and then it disappeared....

I always do my seaming by holding *wrong* sides together and doing mattress stitch. I grab the little strands that run between the edge stitch and the next stitch in. I'll grab two of those little strands from one side, then two from the other side, then the next two from the first side, etc. (Most illustrations show this as being done by grabbing only one strand on each side, but that pulls too much for my tastes, so I always grab two strands on each side.)

Baby-safe closures are tricky. I wouldn't use anything that may become detached, such as a plastic pin. I would probably very securely sew a sew-in snap for the closure. You wouldn't see it when the sweater is closed, yet it would hold things in place.

Your booties are adorable!