Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mission: Blocking

I bought a lot of pins! Here is the beginning...



Halfway done, it's looking so much better! :D I can't believe how skinny the unblocked portion was.



DONE! Now you can see the cables, woot!

I am very pleased with how straight I got it, especially just doing it "freehand". YAY BLOCKING! Not too bad of an experience. I filled up the sink and submerged the scarf in it. Then i picked up the soggy mass of wool (which smelled funny, lol) and let it drain for a minute. It looked a little fuzzier... so I was definitely being very paranoid about not accidentally felting it. Next, I rolled it in a towel to squeeze more water out. Finally the pinning... and there you have it, I blocked something! Wooooooo! I felt the fabric this morning, still a little damp, but Dad's birthday isnt until friday, so I am way ahead of schedule! :D

Today should be a good day. My friend Shawn is taking me out for sushi as payment for taking care of her pets last week when she was on vacation. And then tonight I am going to a concert at Piere's (for free!) with my work buddies. I am excited, Breaking Benjamin and Evans Blue are playing. So many fun things today and I don't have to spend a DIME! (Which is fantastic since I just paid rent, ugh.)

Anyone know if it will hurt the scarf to febreeze it? I want it to smell nice for my dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The scarf looks great! I'm glad you were able to get it done so far ahead of schedule. And uh...just so I know. What is "felting" something? And why would be paranoid about it?

See ya!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the scarf. The difference between before and after is wild. Once the wool dries, it shouldn't smell any more (I think its the lanolin - there's no way around it... wet wool stinks). Maybe hang it outside for a real breeze instead of fabreeze!