Friday, March 28, 2008

CAKE!

Good thing my nephew was born last week, because next week is my Fiance's birthday!!!!!

I won't post his age online, although I will say it starts with a 3 and ends with a 0. Hahahaha!!! OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well to help celebrate with his family tomorrow, I baked him the bday cake of his choice:

Lemon Cake with Raspberry Mousse.



IT TURNED OUT GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I baked 2 additional "mini cakes" so we each could taste the cake before its debut tomorrow.



I was a bit put off at first, since it uses a store bought cake mix, but it was so easy and had several mix ins that personalized the cake and made it DEELISH! The tart lemon cake is offset by the lightly sweet whipped raspberry cream frosting - and then a layer of raspberry filling in the middle. Just the right amount of texture and flavor.

I was excited to whip actual whipping cream. I believe I achieved "soft peaks" with success, although I really didn't know what I was doing. :-)



I am adding this to my repertoire for SURE!

3 comments:

Macoco said...

The cake looks beautiful. YUM! Happy birthday to the fiance! 3-0 is not bad at all!

YarnThrower said...

Ahem....3-0 is not old -- just wait until you (or your DF) get to be MY age!

Designated Knitter said...

Wow, I didn't realize that your fiance is older than I am!! From my perspective of 28 years, 30 sounds ANCIENT!!!

;)

(He's not gonna post any cracks when I turn 50 next year, is he????)