Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Growing boy

My post title is not referring to my little unborn baby boy (although man is he getting big in there!!!).... I am talking about my nephew Holden!

Back in August of 2011 I finished this adorable striped sweater (and never blogged about it? what??) for my then three-year-old nephew. It was supposedly sized for a 4 year old, and I thought I was playing it safe. Well it ended up fitting, but it was BARELY long enough to cover his stomach. (boo!)

Pattern: Child's Sweater Size 4
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease
Mods: Stripes inspired by Ravelry user's sweater: DomesticImpostor

I had the bright idea that I could lengthen the sweater (seeing as I had some of the yarn leftover in the stash) so that he could wear it this winter! (I hate to see a sweater grown out of so fast, hehe!) I had my SIL give me the sweater and then I got to work. First issue: the original sweater I knit flat and sewed up the pieces. For the lengthened part I knew I wanted to do it in the round (plus how else would I do it... it'd be really awkward to try and do it in pieces for an addition!). My solution ended up being to just muddle through and see what happened. :)

I put the stitches at the bottom of the lowest (green) stripe on a large circular needle. Next, I cut off the grey ribbed edges and pulled out any leftover bits until I was left with just the green stripe on the needles. For the leftover seams I just tried to tie them off as best I could. If they ever do unravel I will bust out some sewing thread, but for now it seems good to go! (whew).

Next I grabbed my spare yarn and added a blue and brown stripe, and then redid the grey ribbed edging. I think it blended in pretty well - I wish I had done a tiny grey stripe between the blue and brown but I was worried about not having enough for the edging.

I plan on giving it back to my SIL next time I see her... I hope I lengthened it enough!!! Cross your fingers for me!

2 comments:

Nooka said...

awesome!! I loved that sweater on Holden. You are so talented !

Mare said...

It looks great! Holden is so lucky! :)