Monday, June 19, 2006

Just for fun

I got my mason-dixon knitting book today!!!!!!!! It is one of the coolest knitting books I have bought. I want to make everything in it, lol!

One idea i got from the book was knitting with strips.... of things.... like old tshirts or rags..... or plastic bags:



LOL! Yes, I knitted a plastic bag. Morbid curiosity maybe? I took one plastic grocery bag, and cut it into thin rings (cut off the handles and the bottom first)... and then chained the loops together to make a sort of yarn. (This process is described in the mason-dixon book!) So that picture is of a (roughly) 3inch by 3inch square, knitted from one plastic bag. Whew, imagine what it would take to knit a floor mat or something! haha.

Anyway, it was fun and pointless, i just wanted to see if I could do it. Now i need to get back to THE BLANKET! Eesh.

2 comments:

YarnThrower said...

What a cool idea! Sort of like "spinning" and then knitting with it, only without all of the fiber... I wonder if something knit out of plastic bags would be durable enough to make it worth it..... I'm all for the whole recycling thing.....

Unknown said...

I have a rag rug on the needles (ie shoved in a box somewhere...). It's made from bits of cloth and yarn and twine. I really like it, but I never work on it.